Prepare, select and use appropriate fixative and staining solutions to a variety of tissue samples, to include:
- Papanicolaou and May- Grünwald-Giemsa staining technique.
Knowledge and skills you might demonstrate
- Types, purposes and use of fixatives, preservatives, stains and equipment associated with specimen preparation and processing.
- Potential hazards and risks associated with specimen preparation and associated control measures.
- Principles of liquid-based cytology and imaging technologies.
- Principles of non-gynaecological cytology preparation techniques.
- Special stains used to aid diagnosis relevant to cytology, including Grocott and Ziehl–Neelsen (ZN).
- Relevant statutory, regulatory and legislative requirements and guidance associated with processing of specimens.