Observe and assist with the preparation of samples for genetic testing.
Knowledge and skills you might demonstrate
- The purpose, process, capabilities and limitations of cell culture procedures and associated equipment.
- Cell culture, slide making and chromosome preparation techniques (G-banding) and their importance in the investigation process.
- The purpose, process, capabilities and limitations of nucleic acid extraction procedures and associated equipment.
- Relevant protocols and their application, including health and safety considerations.
- Requirements for containment levels to maintain the integrity of the sample and to protect the member of staff.
- The quality and quantity of DNA/RNA required for each test to be performed.
- Factors affecting the quality of extractions.
- The range and requirements for records and documentation associated with extractions.